Wow! It's been 10 days since I last posted. I've been a bad girl and kept you all in suspense. I'm sure you're all aching to know what I've been cooking and eating. Well, let me tell ya.
Ian and I are thrilled that my sister is visiting us at the moment and we started off our visit with a trip to Jasper National Park for some hiking. Ah, yeah. Lots of hiking, much of it in the up direction. Gorgeous views that photos cannot reproduce. We tried though, and you can see our attempts on our photo webpage (if you don't have the address and password already, just email me and I'll let you in on the secret). Now onto the food.
Before we left, we decided to limit the moola we spent on this trip by packing picnics for two meals a day. Here's our fridge before the trip. Notice that we went on a tupperware frenzy!
Ula and I made our best-ever muffins in life which we paired with bagels and fruit for each breakfast. Lunches consisted of veggie, meat and cheese wraps - portable and very yummy when eaten on the summit of a mountain!
Carrot (and other stuff) Muffins
(recipe discovered through substituting missing ingredients!)
- 1 cup spelt flour
- 1/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 3 tbsp wheat germ
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- pinch salt
- 2 cup grated carrots
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 clean-tasting oil (canola, etc.)
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup vanilla yogurt (or plain, or other flavour you like)
- other stuff: raisins, cranberries, sliced almonds
2. whisk flours with brownsugar, wheat germ, spices, baking powder and soda and salt in a large bowl
3. add in grated carrot and mix so carrot is coated with dry ingredients
4. in other bowl, combine the wet ingredients
5. pour wet into dry, add rainsins, cranberries, almonds, or whatever else you want, and mix quickly until wet and dry stuffs are just incorporated
6. divide batter into muffin cups (we ended up using only 10 cups) and bake until golden and a toothpick inserted inside comes out clean (we baked for about 30 min)
7. cool a bit on a rack and then EAT!!